There's always talk about the different behaviors your customers have, but have you ever sat down to describe what their ideal behavior would be?
If you describe exactly how an ideal customer would interact with your store, it can become very easy to build a retention system around that.
Instead of just bolting on random marketing tactics, you'd have a process and a system to decide what needs to be added and where.
Today I want you to take 15 minutes and think about who your ideal customer would be and what behaviors they'd have. This isn't a formal marketing persona or anything else, you're just focusing on what the relationship should be.
Use these questions as guides and feel free to answer other questions that pop into your head:
- How and where should your customer first hear about your store?
- When they first visit, what's the very first thing they see? What's the first product they notice?
- While browsing your store for the first time, what are they feeling? What are they thinking?
- They decide to place their first order. What product(s) do they buy? Are they making a careful test purchase to see how you fulfil their expectations or are they going all-out and buying everything they want?
- What are they getting from you post-purchase? Order and shipment confirmations? A custom email? A phone call?
- What experiences will they have once they unbox the product?
- What happens 7 days after the order? 14 days? 30 days? 60 days? 90 days?
- What makes them come back to your store for their second order? What about the third order?
There's a lot to think about here so don't stress too much about getting everything right the first time. Focus on building a rough idea to start with, and one that you can refine over time.
Remember, this is your ideal customer, not your typical customer.
Segment your customers automatically with RFM
Segmenting your customers has always been touted as a powerful marketing tool but many stores avoid it because it can be time-consuming.
Repeat Customer Insights will automatically segment your entire customer base for you based on the valuable data Shopify has already collected for you. Ranging from 5 to 30 to over 125+ different segments using RFM and other models, you can pick how much power you want to harness.